How to dye your hair at home

10:23:00 PM

My sister and I have been dying our hair for as long as I can remember. Although, I have never had it dyed in a salon nor have I ever paid over $15. Here's what we do.

Stuff you need:
Old towels
Gloves
Vaseline
Mixing bowl
Appliqué brush
Color charm dye we usually use 311 medium brown (It is pretty dark.) Bought at Sally's Beauty Supply store.
Color charm cream developer 20 bought at Sally's Beauty Supply store.

Steps:
1. Brush through hair, place old towels on the ground around (it can be messy) we have a plastic cape to cover top of body.
2. Pour dye into bowl. Using dye bottle as a measure pour enough developer to fill two dye bottles in the bowl. 2:1 developer:dye
3. Place Vaseline along the hairline and cover the ears. This is to protect the skin from dye. Although this is still inevitable to get it somewhere.
4. Apply dye to hair starting with the roots then down to the ends.
5. Try to clean skin off as soon as you finish applying dye.
6. From time start until time finish we try to leave dye in for about 45 minutes total. See box for more instructions.
7. Shower or rinse out with shampoo and conditioner.
*If you have longer than shoulder length hair I would suggest buying 2 bottles of dye and double the developer.



You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I have always skipped the vaseline step, since hair dye removes hair dye. I just take a bit of the left over dye on a paper towel and wipe the stains off my skin, then wash the same spots to remove chemical residue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always skipped the vaseline step, since hair dye removes hair dye. I just take a bit of the left over dye on a paper towel and wipe the stains off my skin, then wash the same spots to remove chemical residue.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive